Nottingham city has clarified its pedlar laws online

What is and what is not allowed? The folks in here will sort it out.
Case Law seems to be the evil wicked witch of the west at the moment.
ajbox

Nottingham city has clarified its pedlar laws online

Post by ajbox » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:11 pm

Last year I was put off starting as a pedlar because I got no answers form police or council to clarify if I could peddle in the most popular streets and towns, despite asking multiple times and sending a letter to the police. This year I've discovered the police and the city councils websites have clear views that pedlars can trade without a street license (Which I knew) some detail about what size of wheeled cart you can use, but no real clarification about how long you can stay in one place. I suspect last years queries produced this years answers... Might be useful to others, I'm going to have a go thIs year!

Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Re: Nottingham city has clarified its pedlar laws online

Post by Ian Pedlar » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:23 pm

Go for it ajbox and good luck!
I wish you all the best.

ian

ajbox

Post by ajbox » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:31 pm

I am going to do a graphic guide to the law for pedlars for my own interest, to explain to any recalcitrant council workers and because its easier to take in the info. I'll send you a copy for general use on the site if you wish. Need about a month. Intending to hit the streets of Nottingham at Easter weekend.

Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Post by Ian Pedlar » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:15 pm

ajbox wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:31 pm
I am going to do a graphic guide to the law for pedlars for my own interest, to explain to any recalcitrant council workers and because its easier to take in the info. I'll send you a copy for general use on the site if you wish. Need about a month. Intending to hit the streets of Nottingham at Easter weekend.
Yes please, thank you, I'll put it on the server so everyone can download it.

Good luck for Easter weekend!

ajbox

Post by ajbox » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:45 am

UPDATE 11th April 2019

So LAST month the Nottingham city police and the Nottingham city council site both contained a statement that the street trading laws locally did NOT apply to pedlars and instead they were trading under the 1871 Pedlar act requirements. I should have taken a screenshot of this because they have changed it AGAIN. This seems to have taken out the 'does not apply to pedlars' and instead tries to make out Pedlars are only allowed to trade door to door and town to town, missing out in a lot of places the 'street to street'. which has been proven as being valid. I wonder if trading standards and Nottingham police are reading this forum because it happened soon after my last post. I have again gone back to the legislation and it is clear to me that I can trade on 'consent' and 'restricted' streets provided I stick to the Nottingham Markets act 2010 which place some, but not overly onerous restrictions to me, in what I can do, where and the size of cart. There is still no hard and fast rule for how long, and it seems to me that a maximum of 15 minutes, unless answering (Not serving, if they are browsing you can stay put until they finish, case law again) at one place and moving 50M+ and not returning for 2 hours is the right one based again on case law. Clearly some local authorities have tried to severely restrict these times so I have my camera which will prove I was moving, and serving browsing customers. I am particulary struck by councils and police using the wordTRADITIONALLY pedlars trade door to door and town to town' while choosing to miss out 'street to street' from the wording of the 1871 act and subsequent law cases. Seems to me tradition is on the street sellers side judging by case law and written and photographic evidence.

Fortunately the national Police advisory pages DO quote the law correctly. Tomorrow I will be out and about for the first time using a converted pram which fits the regulations, carrying my Derbyshire Police issued Pedlars License (They talked to Trading standards and verbally advised me I was selling 'Toy's' but this does not appear on the form?). I also have a £2M public liability insurance, a video camera on 8 hour loop record and laminated copies of all the law in brief as well as an electronic timer.

I have expended CONSIDERABLE cost, time and effort to keep within the law and not cause a nuisance but I cannot help but think the law is in dire need of a change. I would rather pay £100 or £200 a year to go everywhere, rather than this piece meal, misinterpreted law. When a local authority, trading standards and local police all seem to be interpreting the law in slightly different ways, and at different times, it seems a tactic to put people off rather than an honest and open approach.

For now I will go and start trading, and peacefully insist on my right to do so. I will also, when this Brexit stuff blows over, be lobbying my MP for change. I suspect I will be posting more about the differing, and often plain wrong misinterpretation of the Pedlars act and local laws in future, hopefully as the local authority themselves check the exhaustive case law and parliamentary research proving I am able to trade as a Pedlar..
I am in the spirit and letter of the law, lets hope this proves adequate protection...
AJBOX MARVELLOUS MECHANISMS is finally ready to roll...

markd

Post by markd » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:30 pm

Just had a look at Nottingham, they comply with the Local Government Miscallaneous Provisions Act, so by that admission it means as a Pedlar you are EXEMPT from that act. You can trade on any public street AS LONG AS YOU TRADE AS A PEDLAR with the relevant Pedlars certificate, you are not limited to door to door.