London

Pedlars, How cool to hold a certificate that proves by law you are a person of good character!
Worth getting one just for the hallibut! Oh no, that's a fishing certificate.
Dave Hall

London

Post by Dave Hall » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:32 pm

Whilst doing research on trading as a Pedlar in London I found the following regarding Greenwich borough.
Previous discussions here have stated that all 32 London boroughs prohibit Pedlars.

"Royal Borough of Greenwich
Street Trading Policy
Version 2. September 2015

1.6 Some types of trade are legally exempt from the need to obtain a street trading licence. These include:
• a person trading under the authority of a Pedlars Certificate granted under the Pedlars Act 1871;"

It goes on to say,
"1.8 The vision for Royal Borough of Greenwich’s street trading is:
‘To create a street trading environment that compliments premises-based trading, is sensitive to the needs of residents and provides diversity and consumer choice. In recognising that street trading has a history of being a low cost start for successful retailers, the Royal Borough wishes to encourage such enterprise. The Royal Borough believes that street trading can generate vitality in
Page 2 of 9 Version 2, September 2015
the street scene and increase visits by the public. The Royal Borough seeks to ensure that street trading both enhances the character and ambience of local environments and is provided safely avoiding public nuisance for Greenwich’s residents and visitors.’"

ajbox

Re: London

Post by ajbox » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:41 pm

Getting the same bullshit here in Nottingham just trying to find out what is allowed.. last year I wrote and phoned the police and the council and it felt like neither really had an answer. i was so concerned about potentially getting arrested (Nottingham has 'permitted streets' and PCSO areas that seemed worded to arrest anyone they didnt get big street trading fees from) that I dropped my plans, but since, and probably in response to my queries, but not actually telling me direct, both Nottingham City (markets section) and the local police force has published clear guidelines which as they are on their own websites,lcan print off and show in case of any problem. These give clear rules about pedlars not being subject to the street trading rules as they are certificated by the police, and some detail about how long you can stop in one place for, and how big your cart may be, but really not an encouraging set of information.

The fact may be that these London areas 'Prohibit' pedlars but this is actually their untested legal view. Last year Nottingham had no guidance in writing but this year it has and therefore I am gearing up to sell my own design of laser cut mechanisms www.ajbox.co.uk. It was enough to feel that my ass would get hauled through the courts to test the law, that put me off then. Perhaps a written letter to the councils quoting the relevant act of parliament AND the local police website info, with a copy to your MP (prominently included in letter) and making it a freedom of information request will get you an answer, and crucially, get their websites and rules made public which should give you the ability to trade without too much hassle. From the research i have done, i suspect it is legal for you to trade there unless some sort of one off event was happening, but unless there is guidance available to you they can attempt to fine you at court and then even if it is overturned, they can try it again. Get the guidance then you shouldn't get whisked off the street by someone pretending not to know the law.