Birdy whistle or Swiss Warbler

If you have an idea of what's good to sell let everyone know.
Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Re: Birdy whistle or Swiss Warbler

Post by Ian Pedlar » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:42 pm

Hi Rob,

I looked into making these a few years ago, I bought several (and got a few free samples).

The best quality ones I got were from Birdy in holland but they are expensive, I can't remember exactly how much but they were about £1.25 each though you could get them a bit cheaper buying in bulk.

The ones I got free samples of were not very good quality at all and wouldn't even last an hour.

That being said, even the Birdy ones didn't last very long, a few sessions.

These Birdy ones and the free sample ones were both constructed similarly, an outer half-moon shaped piece of plastic paper crinkle-cut on the outside, then in the middle was what seemed to me to be like some kind of membrane (perhaps animal) that would become flexible when moist, it was held on by a silver metal washer bent over half-way and the washer also had a crinkly outer edge.

I'm thinking that the membrane also contracts when wet so that it becomes tighter and you're able to make the whistle sounds so maybe if you google for something that contracts when wet?

Another type I saw was made of felt with a plastic half-washer which must've been glued on, this was called a 'whacky whistle' and it had a lower range of sound.

If you do figure it out will you let us know and maybe let us know if we can buy them in bulk.

Cheers

ian

P.S. I saw a chap selling them in Poole and he was doing very well selling them for £2 each and maybe 3 for £5.
He was dancing about whistling away and kids were running up to him and buying them.

Added! checkout: http://crazywhistles.co.uk/the-history- ... cba1185463

and http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 4&forum=26

robchoc

Post by robchoc » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:36 pm

Great links Ian

I have just got a reply from the factory and they said that they use a special paper that does not deteriorate when moist.

Total cost for 1000 whistles is:

£163.98 I have to add on duty and vat and shipping will cost £34.11 plus vat.

I'm going to order 1000 and see how I get on.

I think it's a good deal.

:D

Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Post by Ian Pedlar » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:48 pm

I say

go for it!

I hope they are good quality but even if they aren't that great you can sell them for a lower price.

at least

a) it'll get you out there and

b) you'll have tremendous fun!

Good luck dude and post back to let us know how it goes!

ian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-1Rsi- ... e=youtu.be

Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Post by Ian Pedlar » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:15 pm

Updated:
I put a couple of videos on the first page. One shows an expert using a swiss warbler, another shows how to make a kid friendly version yourself!

I always thought that if you could make them for just a few pence you could sell them perhaps for £2 each which is a really good profit.

ian.