Advice before i apply

What is and what is not allowed? The folks in here will sort it out.
Case Law seems to be the evil wicked witch of the west at the moment.
graffitidave

Advice before i apply

Post by graffitidave » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:11 pm

I've only recently found out about pedlars certificates and want to apply asap but i do have a criminal record from 2008 for petty crim damage and was fined £50.
Is this grounds this stop me from being granted a certificate?
The idea is that i could sell my artwork around the city if granted a certificate.

I am a self employed artist and since 2008 i have vast experience of working with youth services,social care,young offendenders and many homeless and mental health charities and i also have 2 great character reference letters vouching for the voluntary work i've done in my city and the crim record has never stopped me from working with any organisation.

Other question - my only photo ID is a passport that ran out in September last year.Would that be valid or invalid ID?

Many thanks
Dave

Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Re: Advice before i apply

Post by Ian Pedlar » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:27 pm

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure if that would affect your application for a pedlars certificate, perhaps the only way to know would be to pay the £12.25 fee and apply.

If you're turned down then you can appeal that decision and bring forward your good references etc.

I've used expired passports in the past as ID so I'm pretty sure your passport will be fine.

I really hope you get a certificate, this country needs more artists and colourfull personalities trading their wares on the streets.

Good luck!

ian

graffitidave

Post by graffitidave » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:50 pm

Hi
Thanks Ian.
Great news is that i got my certificate today.Took over an hour bemused looks from desk staff and many calls from police to Chester council but i got it.
I asked to trade uk wide as per section 3 of pedlars act but they refused.They said they'd issue one for the city and even then its only for 2 streets.
Police flatly refused anything else and i had to take it or leave it - so i took it.
This was only verbal,they gave me nothing in writing regarding where i can trade.

Good spots tbf,one is the road outside Chester cathedral.Not a bad spot at all especially with Chester being a tourist city.

Do you think i could still trade outside of Chester/nationwide and mention/have written proof of section 3 or better not push my luck?

Glad to be a part of such and old tradition ;)

Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Post by Ian Pedlar » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:09 pm

Well a pedlars certificate is a certificate to trade anywhere in the UK but then there are places such as many 'boroughs' of London where they've managed to introduce law curtailing what a pedlar may do .... It always amazes me the lengths these people will go to take a dump on the lowly pedlar, what are they afraid of?

I believe you are entitled by law to go mostly anywhere in the UK and if you were trading and an official asked to see your pedlars certificate and you showed them they might then say thank you and leave you alone.

You might be well advised to have a look at the http://www.pedlars.info website as the guys there are really hot on the law.

Congratulations!

ian

graffitidave

Post by graffitidave » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:30 pm

I've been looking at that site and disappeared down the legal rabbit hole of pedalry and the law :)

I'm just worried about the council making crap up about how such and such a by laws have changed etc.

I know how to conduct myself in a polite and friendly way so hopefully any issues that crop up can be managed in a civil manner and not escalate.

Thanks again for the help and advice.