trading standards

Pedlars, How cool to hold a certificate that proves by law you are a person of good character!
Worth getting one just for the hallibut! Oh no, that's a fishing certificate.
griffman

trading standards

Post by griffman » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi, I was stopped by trading standards on Friday who asked for my certificate which was OK, they then photographed it. They asked to see what I was selling, which are Amazing Helicopters, the sort of thing you see in Spain they are a LED arrow which is launched into the air with an elastic band, they come back down spinning like a helicopter. He didn't like the look of them as they contain small parts, a switch a LED and 3 watch batteries which are all sealed in the helicopter with a hinged door and tape which is difficult to remove. Also he couldn't find a CE mark so he said I cant let you sell these mate, then he photographed it. He said he could confiscate all the helicopters in my bag but I won't as its a warning today but if I see you again you will be in for it. Now I have seen similar helicopters for sale at Sainsbury's, Debanem's, and Maplin. also the Science Museum sold them. When I returned home I checked the helicopters and they don't have a CE mark on them but the packets which contain them do. I am not happy with their findings and I am going to their office to challenge them in very a nice way. Do you think I have a case?

Ian Pedlar
Site Admin

Re: trading standards

Post by Ian Pedlar » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:16 pm

It's difficult when dealing with these official types.
I hope others can come with some good advice but mine would be perhaps to find the same thing on some websites (Debenhams etc.) and print out some copies then find the exact same official(s) and show them the CE mark on the packets and that these same helicopters are being sold by these same big-name high street stores and see if you can make it right with them.
Here's a link to Amazon:

Good luck to you and I hope you can convince them to leave you the heck alone.

griffman

Post by griffman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:51 pm

Thanks Ian, its the devils own job trying to see someone at Trading Standards, they prefer you to send them an email (which I did, telling them what I have told you) guess what? they haven't sent me a reply, does that mean I can sell them or not, who knows. What surprises me is how unprofessional they are, for example not introducing themselves to me and calling me mate.

griffman

Post by griffman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:36 pm

Hi just a quick update, Trading Standards have told me I can only sell Amazing Helicopters if I buy them from a reputable European wholesaler, preferably in this country. The ones I sold were imported directly from China which is a no no. These little LED toys have to be traceable to some one who has imported them and had them tested to a standard. Finding such a wholesaler is proving to be difficult, if you know of any please let me know, thanks for your time.