Applying For Pedlar's License with a Criminal Record.

What is and what is not allowed? The folks in here will sort it out.
Case Law seems to be the evil wicked witch of the west at the moment.
Barefoot_Wanderer

Applying For Pedlar's License with a Criminal Record.

Post by Barefoot_Wanderer » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi Everyone,

Can I still get a Pedlar's license if I have a criminal record?

I served 6 months in prison in 1994/5 for shop burglary

one caution for shop lifting in 1997.

I've been squeaky clean ever since. So nearly 20 years without any relapses. I'm now 48 years old.

(Do the police look this far back for a pedlar's license?)

Also, if I'm registered as a company do I still need to apply for a Pedlar's license?

When I've worked selling door to door before it's always been for various companies and I didn't need a pedlar's license for that. When you are a company is it different from being just someone trading door to door?

Your assistance would be most appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Andy

comebackjimmy

Re: Applying For Pedlar's License with a Criminal Record.

Post by comebackjimmy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:54 pm

Hello Andy

Great name!

My understanding is that the Pedlar Certificate is required to be given to you if you are over 17 and of Good Character. The question of what constitutes Good Character is another thing however. The rehabilitation of Offenders Act plays a part and I think that as the last record the police have of you having committed any offence is twenty years ago that the act might count for something.

I think your best bet might be to just go ahead and make your application and pay the fee which is trivial and see what happens. If you know someone locally who is influential and who can give you a reference as to your character then get them to write a reference and attach it to the application. this might subvert any police inclination to rely on their records to decline your application.

I am no expert so I invite others reading the post to add their expertise.

Good Luck.

Andy!

Barefoot_Wanderer

Post by Barefoot_Wanderer » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:17 pm

I'll apply and see what happens.

If I'm a limited company do I still need a pedlars license? This is a biggy for me.

comebackjimmy

Post by comebackjimmy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:29 pm

Hello

I would get the Pedlar Certificate anyway. reason is it is only a handful of quids and if granted you can go about your business with absolute clarity ltd company or sole trader, if anyone stops yoo to cause trouble you just produce the certificate. Whether your operating as a Ltd company or as a sole trader should not come up.

As ever, any other advice to clarify or correct what i have just said always welcome.

Barefoot_Wanderer

Post by Barefoot_Wanderer » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:29 am

thanks jimmy, most helpful. I might have been clouding the situation with whether or not I was a limited company. I'll get a pedlars license anyway. I was more curious than anything else, why I didn't need a license when I worked for a company - there's no info online I can find?? But as you say better having one than not.