Certificate refused

What is and what is not allowed? The folks in here will sort it out.
Case Law seems to be the evil wicked witch of the west at the moment.
Gee Gee

Certificate refused

Post by Gee Gee » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:12 am

How much experience does anyone have here about being refused a certificate from the police? I started down the appeal route, but you have to pay £250 to have your appeal heard by the court......

comebackjimmy

Re: Certificate refused

Post by comebackjimmy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:27 am

Hello

Why was your certificate refused? I resume you received a written reason. Maybe it would be helpful if you could post the exact wording.

Gee Gee

Post by Gee Gee » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:51 pm

First they refused me over the phone, I told them I wanted to appeal, he said that there was no appeals procedure. I found out from peddlers forum that there is an appeal procedure, ring the court. The court said that the police should have given me a written refusal, so I reapplied with a letter saying that they should give me a letter of refusal if they want to refuse me again. That was about two weeks ago and I have heard nothing, apart from when I went in about a week ago and asked about it, and the front desk man said that the inspector is waiting for a reply from an email he has sent, and I'll just have to wait for him to get back in touch with me.

Gee Gee

Post by Gee Gee » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:59 pm

I asked him on the phone why I was refused, he said because 3 years ago I sold some hats that turned out to be counterfeit, which I had thought were fine. The court case hasn't been yet so I haven't been found guilty or not guilty, but the same police station has given me a peddlers certificate each year regardless until now.

comebackjimmy

Post by comebackjimmy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:51 pm

I am no expert but I think you must start to build a document trail. First of all and if you have not already done so you should write to the police (and post it as signed for delivery and KEEP a record of delivery) formally asking for a written explanation of why they have refused a pedlar certificate. I would include a request for a copy of any written guidance they have to determine whether or not a person is suitable for a Pedlar Certificate. My understanding of the law is that you must be given a certificate if you are of the correct age and of GOOD CHARACTER. It is the definition of good Character that this hinges upon.

You may be able to argue that you bought and sold the hats in good faith and that as you have not yet been found guilty of an offence that your Character ought not to be in question.

I think it is reasonable to ask the police to respond within a certain time scale as your livelihood is at risk. May I suggest that you REQUEST a response within say 21 days. Guess after that you have to wait and see what they say.

Which constabulary is it?

Gee Gee

Post by Gee Gee » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:21 pm

Thanks comebackjimmy, that's a great idea. It's St Austell police in Cornwall. I reapplied in Truro but was turned down also. I'll post any updates.